Thread: Is it legal to use or run a private iks server?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 620 Posts

Default Is it legal to use or run a private iks server?

I've been asked many times is it safe to use a private server?
    is it legal to run a private iks server?
    Will I get busted for running or using a private iks server?

Well to be totally honest that still remains up in the air....

In the United States of America you can legally share your subscription to Dish Network among a limited number of friends and family as long as it is not for making a profit.

With this in mind that states it is not illegal as it is something Dish Network allows you to do.
    Now if you set up and run a private server and charge for the service with the intent to make a profit it technically becomes illegal. According to Dish Networks terms of subscription sharing you can not make a profit from this service or you are classified a pirate and will be charged along with all those that are the end users of your service.

Pretty sticky situation yes?

Is it worth the risk?

Sure it can be provided the server setup is not storing your ip address that you are using to log onto the private server but that is highly unlikely as that would require memory dumps and restarts that would interrupt the service you are paying for and therefor does not happen.

Also no matter how you pay the operator for the service there is a record of payment being received and sent by whatever method you choose to pay by, example...paypal, western union, credit card.
    No matter what anyone tells you there is always a record kept of all transactions you make, and yes this also applies to direct payments from your bank account. By law they are required to keep records for a minimum of 5 years so be careful.

In Canada....

Sharing of a paid subscription to either or any satellite provider is illegal.
    Bell Express-vue does not currently nor has at any time ever given the option to share among family or friends a subscription.
    So even tho you are getting the service from somewhere else in the world (south america, overseas or even paying for a Dish Network private server in the states you are performing an illegal act and can and will be charged with sat piracy the same as if you were doing it in the states.

Now the main question I have been asked is how do they do it for Bell?

That is the simplest question to answer...

What the private server providers do is find someone with an active subscription and they offer to pay for the service for them if they allow them to set up a few programs for them to log into the receiver and siphon off the info on the card. Not really a difficult thing to do if you know where to get the software at.

What they do not tell the seeder (the person(s) that they made the agreement with) is that if they get caught they are on their own.

You may well be paying a private server for the enjoyment of watching free television (and most of us have tested this stuff out and are all to blame) but consider what happens when they grab the server, they get the info for all the seeders, they get all the ip addresses that have ever logged into the server to use the service and the poor seeders and end users usually are left out to hang while the operators sit back and make a deal for freedom while they verify that that is a paying customer and that this payment info is theirs and swear statements to support the claims.

80% of all private server operators are released and charges dropped as the end users and seeders are easier to win a court case against.

So in considering what you are going to do to get your television fix consider for a minute the ramifications that can and eventually will arise when the server ops get busted
    Don't ask me cause there are those that say I don't know nothin'.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Junkyard Dawg For This Useful Post:

fordhell™ (04-23-2011),japonc (04-22-2011),Topgun222 (02-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 559 Posts

Default Re: Is it legal to use or run a private iks server?

where did you read it's fine to share a sub with family and friends?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dishuser For This Useful Post:

japonc (04-22-2011),rockin62 (05-22-2011)

Thanks

Only way to find out call Dish and ask them. But I know for a fact its 100% legal to share Subs as I did in the past with family members, and I have asked Dish before allowing my family members to borrow the equipment.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 3,371 Posts

rofl ... ask dish if it's ok to run an iks server? that's a great one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timster View Post
    rofl ... ask dish if it's ok to run an iks server? that's a great one

hahah. I don't want to get served by DISH again! That's right I'm bad ass! haha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OnLoOkEr0070 For This Useful Post:

jsregionca (04-22-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,100 Times in 5,693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnLoOkEr0070 View Post
    Only way to find out call Dish and ask them. But I know for a fact its 100% legal to share Subs as I did in the past with family members, and I have asked Dish before allowing my family members to borrow the equipment.
    Ohh lord....... You might want to do a bit of reading before you start making phone calls lmao

A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.
    Carlo Gambino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homer_™ View Post
    Ohh lord....... You might want to do a bit of reading before you start making phone calls lmao
    haha, I make LOTS of phone calls daily.

Thanks

There is no grey area on either side of the border with IKS,you can not legally modify or get programming info from any Dn/bev equipment.
    Anything other than a legally subbed ird is completely illegal.

gblsat Guest

I agreed with his point