Thread: How to record with XBMC

Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 5,694 Posts

Default How to record with XBMC

How to download with xbmc

First find the content that your interested in downloading. In this example I’ll be making a selection from Piratebay’s top 30
    Hit the right directional arrow on your Bluetooth keyboard twice to pull up the download menu…

Here you can either download right away, or do a download speed test by hitting the options button. If the download rate is too small (12-50kbps), it will either take all day to download or you could run the risk of going idle and timing out. If the download times out you can retry at another time, and it will continue where it left off. Unfortunately it doesn’t automatically keep trying idle connections like other downloading engines. You will have to manually restart your download.

After performing a download speed test I have found a pretty reasonable download rate for my ISP

Now to begin the download…..

When you first start downloading with xbmc you will be asked where you want your download to go. Most people will want to send it to their mounted sd card, others may want to send it to a usb device.. Where ever you decide to send your download, xbmc will automatically send any subsequent downloads to that location.

Select browse and root file system. Search the root file system for a the mnt directory and open. Here you will see your sdcard and your usb devices. Sd card is simply named sdcard. The USB devces are named sda1,sdb1 etc. In this example I’ll be selecting the sd card to download to.

Here’s the download in progress….

This download only took 20min, I was fortunate enough to find a strong server and this particular movie is relatively short at 787.2mb, most HD movies are over a gig or 1000 mb.. Download speed depends on the quality of your ISP service and the quality of the server your connecting to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.
    Carlo Gambino

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homer_™ For This Useful Post:

mark64 (11-20-2012),phat (02-07-2013),vern (11-20-2012)

Thanks

Default Re: How to record with XBMC

Part II
    How to playback your recorded content:

Now that you have downloaded a file with xbmc you need to play it back.
    Since it’s a Video file select Video and the files tab in the main xbmc menu
    When you first start to play back from a new source you have to select the source. After the source is selected and named, xbmc will always return to that same source.

Before we continue and select a source I just want to explain the existing sources I’ve selected. The first source “Mainlaptop_PC” is a UPnP connection to My laptop that allows me to wirelessly stream content from my PC. The second source “sda1” is a mass storage USB device (1TB HD) I have connected to my Jynx Android. The last option add videos is the one we will be using.

Once you select add videos you will be given the option to name your source whatever you wish. You can either name it or leave it blank and continue onto browse.

Once you have entered browse a familiar screen should show up where you are given the option to select a path. Obviously your going to select the same path to playback as you did to record. If you are following the example you will go to root filesystem/mnt/sdcard. To eliminate confusion for myself I have made a file to assign my downloads to and I have simply called it downloads. Therefore the path will be mnt/sdcard/downloads.
    Now that I have assigned a new source it will now show up on the display.

Select the download source to reveal your download.

Select the the download to playback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by homer_™; 11-20-2012 at 11:04 AM.

A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.
    Carlo Gambino

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homer_™ For This Useful Post:

jr33 (11-20-2012),nixon_r (11-20-2012),phat (02-07-2013)

Thanks

Do you know if you can set a source to download like if I wanted the downloads to go onto my PC. I know the easiest way would be to download the file on my PC but with if you can make a source to play from can you make one to download to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixon_r View Post
    Do you know if you can set a source to download like if I wanted the downloads to go onto my PC. I know the easiest way would be to download the file on my PC but with if you can make a source to play from can you make one to download to?
    Ive never tried to do an file transfer with xbmc but I wouldn't be surprised if you could. Like you said if you can stream it you more than likely can download it.
    Any wireless file transfers I have done so far have been with the lazydroid app
    http://dsspros.com/forum/jynxbox-and...lazydroid.html

Carlo Gambino

7. The Following User Says Thank You to homer_™ For This Useful Post:

vern (11-20-2012)